IMA New Mediator Course
The essential introductory mediation training program. 40+ hours of dynamic classroom instruction, online foundational content, role plays and simulations.
This is the essential introductory mediation course. It is a cutting-edge certificate program for new mediators to build skills and confidence.
- Self-paced portion opens one week before classroom training
- Classroom training: April 18, 19 and 20, 2018, 8:30am-4:30pm
- Where: Scottsdale, Arizona
Our blended learning approach includes live coaching, community support, online self-paced learning, hands-on practice and dynamic classroom instruction from professional mediator, Kate Otting.
This course is perfect for you if:
- You are frustrated by disagreements that don’t make sense or escalate for seemingly no reason at all
- You have experienced conflicts that get in the way of your team’s success
- You are considering launching your own mediation practice
- You want to enhance your skills in negotiation, communication, listening and/or managing people
- You took mediation training ages ago and want to refresh your skills
The IMA New Mediator Course is the introductory-level course for anyone who wants to learn how to mediate. The curriculum in this course exceeds the 40-hour requirements of most court-annexed and community mediation programs. Our courses are designed to maximize your time and your learning.
This course bundle includes:
- IMA Conflict Manager - an online course that provides the instructional foundation for mediators
- IMA New Mediator - some online instruction blended with three days of dynamic, hands-on instruction from a professional mediator
We combine videos of real and simulated mediations, homework and in-class experiential training. Participants receive certificate upon successful completion of each course.
Whether you plan to use mediation skills formally or informally, this course will benefit you.
The first mediation course Kate took was dreadful. She explains, "We sat through lectures that explained what mediation was. (Like everyone else, I slept through those.) Coaches constantly told us what we were doing wrong. We were handed scripts to memorize." In other words, after experiencing chaotic, uninspiring, overwhelming and disempowering training, Kate Otting understood why the field was stagnant. Courses in the early days left no room for personal development or unique approaches to mediation.
Kate has revolutionized mediation training. Most mediation courses are 5 days of classroom teaching. While many mediator-trainers have kept up with the latest research and terminology, most courses are not accessible to busy, working professionals. With over 25 years in the field, Kate learned to take out many of the elements of the agenda that can be done ahead of time, at your own convenience, to help you get some of the foundational materials and instruction before you engage in the hands-on learning. You will then enter the classroom, prepared with a solid understanding of mediation, ready to begin practicing and building skills. We have removed nothing from that original 40-hour course format. In fact, there are plenty of bonus materials for you to explore!
This course may meet CLE requirements for attorneys, as well as continuing credits for other professions.