This is the essential introductory mediation course. It is a cutting-edge certificate program for new mediators to build skills and confidence.
Our blended learning approach includes live coaching, community support, online self-paced learning, hands-on practice and dynamic classroom instruction.
This course includes the following components:
- SELF-PACED CONTENT:
- WHEN: Available immediately upon registration
- Approximately 10-20 hours of foundational content
- Assessments, worksheets and video library
- Optional bonus content and reading materials
- Complete before live instruction begin
- LIVE VIRTUAL INSTRUCTION:
- COACHED MEDIATION SIMULATIONS
- WHEN: Participants have up to six months from registration to complete
- Virtual mediation role play simulations to practice your skills
- Includes 12 one-hour live sessions
- Online mediation training and live support included
This course is perfect for you if:
- You are frustrated by disagreements that don’t make sense or escalate for seemingly no reason at all
- You have experienced conflicts that get in the way of your team’s success
- You are considering launching your own mediation practice
- You want to enhance your skills in negotiation, communication, listening and/or managing people
- You took mediation training ages ago and want to refresh your skills
The IMA New Mediator Course is the introductory-level course for anyone who wants to learn how to mediate. The curriculum in this course exceeds the 40-hour requirements of most court-annexed and community mediation programs. Our courses are designed to maximize your time and learning.
We combine videos of real and simulated mediations, homework and live experiential instruction. Participants receive certificate upon successful completion of each course.
Whether you plan to use mediation skills formally or informally, this course will benefit you.
The first mediation course Kate took was dreadful.
She explains, "We sat through lectures that explained what mediation was. (Like everyone else, I slept through those.) Coaches constantly told us what we were doing wrong. We were handed scripts to memorize."
In other words, after experiencing chaotic, uninspiring, overwhelming and disempowering training, Kate Otting understood why the field was stagnant. Most mediation courses require 5 full days of classroom teaching. They leave little room for personal development or unique approaches to mediation.
Kate has revolutionized mediation training. While many mediator-trainers have kept up with the latest research and terminology, most courses are not accessible to busy, working professionals. With over 25 years in the field, Kate learned to take out many of the elements of the agenda that can be done ahead of time, at your own convenience, to help you get some of the foundational materials and instruction before you engage in the hands-on learning. You will then enter the live portions of the course, prepared with a solid understanding of mediation, ready to begin practicing and building skills. We have removed nothing from that original 40-hour course format. In fact, there are plenty of bonus materials for you to explore!
This course may meet CLE requirements for attorneys, as well as continuing credits for other professions.